Sunday, March 13, 2011

Mr Dependable

And my Final stop. The always open, ever dependable general store shop of Noor Bhai just outside my building compound gate. As I went and stood on the counter of Noor General Store, he came up to me with a smile and said, "Nescafe right"? I laughed and said that I hadn't come for purchasing my regular favourite coffee sachet that day. I had come ask him a few questions about his business for my college assignment, to which he readily obliged.

In business for over a decade, Noor's shop sells everything form a small hairpin to cell batteries. His shop is an indispensable part of the lives of all those living in the Swastik park area. Open from 6 am and shutting at 11 pm,  Noor has become a favourite amongst housewives, kids and men alike owing to its variety in terms of goods available, quick and efficient service, proximity and free home delivery!

So what product sells the most?, I ask Mr. Noor and he replies," It is very hard to pinpoint one particular product as such but the demand for Tide Detergent has seen tremendous growth in the past couple of months as compared to earlier". Besides, the demand for FMCG goods like soaps, shampoos, food products, hygiene and healthcare products, stationary etc. topped the list. So where does he get his supply of goods from?

"Different distributers of different companies, eg. Nestle's, Parle, Hindustan Lever are responsible for supplying the products of the respective companies. We do not worry about the transportation and commission costs. They are taken care of by the companies themselves." So how does the shop earn profits? Smilimg, Mr. Noor said, "I'm surprised you didn't ask this question earlier. It is a pretty simple system really. The wholesale prices for every product are different from their MRP i.e Maximum Retail Price or the ones that you buy products at. So we end up earning profits for each category of goods. I wont tell you how much though", he says with a twinkle in his eyes.

Next I ask him how money is divided between his support staff. Refusing to reveal the exact amount paid to each employee he says that the salaries depend upon the levels of seniority. "They all are my boys and I know that they are very dedicated to their work. I pay them well. Once, Shyam (one of the support staff) had closed the shop when he got a call from Mrs. Vazirani from your building asking for a shampoo bottle for her daughter who had a fashion show early next morning. Mrs. Vazirani told him that she knew that Noor is the only shop that is open till late and known for its prompt delivery. Brushing aside his fatigue, Shyam opened the shutters, caught hold of the requested bottle of shampoo and delivered it to Mrs. Vazirani who is now a Noor loyalist. Ditto Mrs. Foujdar who was rescued by Noor when she needed a bttle of glue for her son's craft exam. This helps us build a connection with people. People feel like they can depend on us. That is the most important thing for any shopkeeper- the customer's satisfaction", he signs off



No comments:

Post a Comment